Mining Minister Honourable Muguwa Dilu, recently said delivering Porgera and Wafi Golpu projects, and progressing Freda River were amongst the government’s key priorities under his leadership.
The Minister outlined his priorities during the hand-over-take-over ceremony of the Mining Ministry between him and his predecessor Hon Sir Ano Pala.
He said other priorities were:
- To explore more opportunities for downstream processing of the country’s mineral resources, such as the recent agreement between the Kumul Mineral Holdings Limited (KMHL) and Ramu Nickel Mine.
- Ensure review of the mining act 1992 is progressed.
- Ensure that the consent compensation agreement for Porgera is successfully concluded so that production could commence.
- Look into production sharing regime
- Look into the prospect of establishing a gold bullion bank that will address the country’s issues with foreign exchange.
- Develop mine closure policy.
- Develop policies to support and improve the alluvial mining sector.
He said the mining sector was an important sector to the government as it contributes 70% the total Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of the country annually, brings in foreign exchange, creates job opportunities for citizens and brings benefits for project landowners.
Hon Dilu said it was critical that all stakeholders of the mining sector worked together for everyone’s interest and benefit. He said as the Mining Minister he would support policies that benefit all stakeholders.